Each year the Fraternity recognizes individuals (undergraduate, alumni and friends of ZBT) for achievements in the interfraternal world and greater community.
The Roswell "Buddy" Messing Award (Most Outstanding Individual Brother)
This award for ZBT’s Most Outstanding Individual Brother is named in honor of Roswell “Buddy” Messing, Jr., Omega (University of Missouri) 1938. Throughout his long career in ZBT, Messing served as trustee to the Omega Chapter and was often sought for his counsel on matters of importance to the International Fraternity. His fraternal spirit remained strong until his death in the late 1980s. The Messing Award is presented to the undergraduate man who most fully embodies the precepts of our Fraternity.
- 2013 Jason J. Colombini, Eta Mu (California Polytechnic State University) 2013
- 2014 James (Alex) Blubaugh, Purdue University (Alpha Alpha Chapter) 2014
- 2015 Joseph Fisher, Alpha Alpha (Purdue University) 2015
- 2016 Bryan J. Pfeffer, Beta Zeta Epsilon (University of Maryland-College Park) 2017
- 2017 Jason R. Zeboris, Nu (The Ohio State University) 2018
- 2018 Matthew J. Scalia, Nu (The Ohio State University) 2018
- 2019 Matthew A. McCoy, Delta Iota (University of Central Florida) 2019
Maine-Heffer Award (Most Outstanding Chapter President)
This award for ZBT’s Most Outstanding Chapter President is named in honor of two brothers, Douglas L. Maine, Alpha Beta (Temple University) 1970, and Jerome Heffer, Delta of Phi Sigma Delta (New York University) 1925.
Brother Maine was a two-term (1969-1970) President of Alpha Beta Chapter at Temple University. He was a member of the Zeta Beta Tau professional staff (1971-1978) and went on to have a successful business career with MCI (now part of Verizon) and IBM where he was Chief Financial Officer of both companies. Following retirement from IBM, Brother Maine joined Wall Street firm Brown, Brothers Harriman. Brother Maine is still active with ZBT serving as the chapter advisor to Delta Chapter at Columbia University and as a member of the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation’s Corporate Governance Committee.
The late Brother Heffer was a member of Phi Sigma Delta’s National Council from 1947 until his death in 1958, as well as advisor to the NYU Chapter. He was known for his passion for Fraternity, his desire for justice and his sincerity.
- 1970 Douglas L. Maine, Alpha Beta
- 1971 Alan Berger, Sigma
- 1972 Thomas Pace, Alpha Pi
- 1973 Richard Chirls, Theta
- 1974 Lawrence Kohn, Alpha Delta
- 1975 David M. Krakoff , Nu
- 1976 Larry Goldberg
- 1977 Robert H. Goral, Delta Pi
- 1978 Andrew L. Schiffman, Sigma
- 1978 Charles J. Incalcaterra, Beta Delta
- 1979 David I. Rainer, Alpha Rho
- 1980 J. Brett Studner, Muhlenberg Not in database
- 1981 Allan M. Gottlieb, Alpha Theta
- 1982 Larry Herman
- 1983 Brady T. Connell, Alpha Rho
- 1984 Jack E. Lepper, Alpha
- 1985 Mark L. Kaufmann, Rho
- 1986 Neil S. Hirshman, Rho
- 1987 Not Known
- 1988 Carl J. Pellegrino, Gamma Beta
- 1989 Steve A. Gwinner, Alpha Omicron
- 1990 Marc E. Lapides, Rho
- 1991 Jason R. Matloff,Alpha Rho
- 1992 Matthew A. Berg, Alpha Rho
- 1993 Robert J. Carpenter, Beta Alpha Theta
- 1994 Not Known
- 1995 Anthony J. Alberti, Beta Xi; Jeffrey S. Alekman, Beta Epsilon
- 1995 Jeffrey S. Adler, Beta Xi
- 1995 David K. Beach, Gamma Iota
- 1995 Charles R. Belshe, Delta Gamma
- 1995 Jason C. Boso, Zeta Lambda
- 1995 Todd A. Carozza, Gamma (New York University)
- 1995 Joshua M. Cooper, Epsilon Beta
- 1995 Michael G. Cortina, Delta Lambda
- 1995 Mark R. Feinsand, Mu (Boston University)
- 1995 Daniel A. Franz, Zeta Phi
- 1995 Joseph S. Gentry, Delta Psi
- 1995 Mark A. Hakim, Omicron (Syracuse University)
- 1995 Jason M. Harrow, Alpha Omicron
- 1995 Adam D. Kolbrenner, Alpha Omega
- 1995 Matthew J. Kritzer, Zeta Rho
- 1995 Gregory S. Lewis, Alpha Omicron
- 1995 Matthew C. Litterell, Beta Eta
- 1995 Aric D. Pozez, Epsilon Mu
- 1995 Todd A. Roland, Zeta Xi
- 1995 H. L. Rosenberg, Omicron (Tufts University)
- 1995 Mark J. Russo, Beta Tau (Edinboro University)
- 1995 David V. Shapiro, Rho
- 1995 Jacob L. Shimansky, Beta Epsilon
- 1995 William K. Strickland, Xi (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- 1995 Adam M. Venokur, Epsilon Gamma
- 1995 Michael J. Zogby, Delta Psi
- 1996 Not Known
- 1997 Scott A. Ramsay, Zeta Pi
- 1998 Ron I. Gibori, Alpha Omicron
- 1998 Jordan H. Strauss, Epsilon Mu
- 1999 Brad D. Bondroff, Beta Zeta Epsilon
- 1999 Ron I. Gibori, Alpha Omicron
- 1999 Jordan H. Straus, Epsilon Mu
- 2000 Not Known
- 2001 Joseph M. Campo, Beta Mu; James J. Carmignani, Zeta Chi; Michael A. Chase, Epsilon Beta; Jason T. Conrad, Zeta Delta; Thomas F. Cook, Delta Lambda; Colin L. Drabert, Zeta Xi; Jason E. Fanselau, Zeta Upsilon; Charles W. Foster, Phi Delta Psi; Gustave P. Garcia, Beta Mu; Stuart A. Gross, Beta Delta; Brett G. Katz, Alpha Omega; Erik M. Kemp, Zeta Omega; Yoaav S. Krauthammer, Lambda (Case Western Reserve); Richard C. Mallard, Beta Phi; Benjamin A. Marter, Beta Alpha Theta; Mark A. Midoux, Zeta Upsilon; Adam S. Muhlendorf, Psi; Francis T. Newell, Gamma (Northwestern University); Edward J. Ochoa, Beta Lambda; Cory A. Ogden, Mu (Boston University); Cary P. Rodriguez, Eta Beta; Daniel L. Rummel, Beta Tau (California State University-Sacramento); Chris A. Rush, Alpha Xi; David A. Vadas, Zeta Nu; Michael R. Smith, Alpha Omega; Sean W. Williams, Beta Lambda.
- 2000 Samuel J. Cohen, Psi; Charles H. Crisler, Zeta Phi; Rory S. Naughton, Mu (Boston University); Daniel H. Frankenstein, Alpha Eta; Kelan J. Champagne, Alpha Eta; Benjamin A. Marter, Beta Alpha Theta; Eric J. Harper, Beta Alpha Theta; Timothy C. Murray, Delta; Michael R. Smith, Alpha Omega; Matthew R. Phelan, Zeta Pi; Eric M. Vintimilla, Zeta Pi; Brandon A. Stanko, Zeta Xi; Mike D. Diamond, Gamma Phi; Joshua I. Mogilefsky, Zeta Omega; Kevin L. Weygand, Zeta Psi; Andrew A. Ostroff, Zeta Psi; Michael L. Barber, Theta Alpha; Josh N. Barbieri, Theta Alpha; Brian M. Chodash, Alpha Omega; Richard A. Hovan, Xi (Massachusetts Institute of Technology); Ryan G. McGinnis, Eta Delta; Brian P. Ivers, Eta Beta; Cory D. Muir, Eta Beta; Douglas A. Smith, Zeta Epsilon; Nicholas A. Cummins, Alpha Psi; Richard C. Mallard, Beta Phi; Nicholas E. Alvarez, Zeta Delta; Steven M. Alvarez, Zeta Delta; Jason T. Conrad, Zeta Delta; Rexford P. Bowman, Zeta Delta; Stuart A. Gross, Beta Delta; Robert L. Wentworth, Phi Delta Psi; Richard W. Hindle, Phi Delta Psi; Gregory J. Seery, Zeta Chi; Matthew C. Chiapperino, Zeta Chi; Trung Q. Nguyen, Eta Gamma; David J. Poggioli, Delta Psi; Timothy J. Haggerty, Delta Psi; Paul J. Tran, Zeta Upsilon; Jonathan H. Snyder, Omicron (Tufts University); Adam J. Biacchi Omicron (Tufts University); Matthew T. Frank, Sigma; Matthew K. McCarron, Delta Xi; Christopher E. Foster, Delta Xi; Ghulam H. Basaria, Delta Xi; Chris A. Rush, Alpha Xi; Jeremy C. Sporn, Alpha Xi; Todd W. Brown, Zeta Theta; Shane C. Kopec, Zeta Theta.
- 2003 Jay K. Leird, Eta Beta; Shane C. Kopec, Zeta Theta; Robert L. Wentworth, Phi Delta Psi; Scott K. Moen, Eta Lambda; Adam J. Biacchi, Omicron (Tufts University); Rory S. Naughton, Mu (Boston University); Anthony F. Pezzimenti, Zeta Xi; Scott M. Chekijian, Epsilon Tau; David S. Salvatore, Gamma Beta; Daniel S. Hyatt, Beta Alpha Theta; Mark A. Buehrle, Eta Beta; Patrick J. Figliolia, Zeta Chi; Gregory J. Seery, Zeta Chi; Daniel P. Benedetto, Beta Tau; Adam W. Wainwright, Beta Tau; Robert B. Mattiford, Alpha Psi; Kelan J. Champagne, Alpha Eta; Daniel H. Frankenstein, Alpha Eta; Scott M. Greenspan, Alpha Delta; Kevin M. Taliaferro, Alpha Delta; Dennis D. Dulaney, Beta Mu; Timothy C. Murray, Delta; Ryan A. Miller, Eta Zeta; Anthony M. Chionchio, Eta Epsilon; Heitham A. Ghariani, Kappa Nu Kappa; Joseph R. Senior, Phi Epsilon; Jonathan L. Trobaugh, Phi Theta Gamma; Jorge J. Delgado, Alpha Psi; Trung Q. Nguyen, Eta Gamma; Thomas D. Lawrence, Beta Mu; Ryan J. Bartunek, Zeta Delta; Jeremy D. Blackburn, Beta Tau (Buffalo State University); David M. Rosenzweig, Beta Epsilon; Andrew M. Uzzle, Beta Epsilon; Michael J. Tomkiewicz, Zeta Alpha; Stefano V. Fasulo, Gamma Phi; Jacob M. Orrin, Beta Delta; Nathaniel E. Williams, Mu (University of Georgia); Robert G. Porcelli, Epsilon Tau; Joshua M. Silberberg, Psi; Joshua I. Mogilefsky, Zeta Omega; Ryan J. McKenica, Zeta Omega; Gino M. Pascarella, Epsilon Tau; David J. Poggioli, Delta Psi; Zachary S. Milner, Psi; Steven E. Schuerman, Psi; Christopher J. Painter, Lambda (Case Western Reserve University); David J. Kon, Beta Alpha Theta; Brian M. Horton, Zeta Upsilon; Adam C. Brown, Zeta Omega; Joshua A. Gillespie, Zeta Omega; Adam M. Bader, Eta Beta; Shane M. Mascho, Beta Tau (Bloomsburg University Of Pennsylvania); Matthew D. Sedam, Zeta Phi; Christopher B. Davidson, Zeta Phi; Jose R. Colon, Kappa Nu Kappa; Andrew W. Samuto, Zeta Xi; Shane M. Robertson, Beta Kappa; Ronald H. Sze, Kappa Nu Kappa; Isaac S. Pinhas, Psi
- 2004 Not known
- 2005 Isaac S. Pinhas, Psi; Matthew S. Sommer, Lambda (Case Western Reserve University); Brian M. Geffen, Beta Alpha Theta; Lowell S. Eschen, Beta Alpha Theta; Jonathan A. Schwartz, Gamma Xi; Ross L. Silverman, Eta Lambda; Brett M. Landsman, Alpha Zeta; Josh R. Landsman, Alpha Zeta; Anthony J. Bartoluzzi, Delta Lambda; Daniel P. Riley, Rho Iota; Adam J. Baker; Matthew S. Toia, Omicron (Tufts University); Stephen W. Goldenzweig, Delta Xi; Josh P. Smeltzer, Beta Alpha Chi; Patrick A. McAuliffe, Beta Alpha Chi; Stephen L. Schaffer, Beta Alpha Chi
- 2006 Not known
- 2007 Adam C. Rosen, Alpha Zeta
- 2008 Jason A. Salit, Lambda
- 2009 Silvester Salazar, Zeta Upsilon; Brian C. Wilhelm, Zeta Xi; Jonathan D. Colon, Delta Eta; Nathan M. Hennagin, Phi Alpha Alpha; David J. Hutchings, Xi (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- 2010 Patrick J. Shea, Eta Delta
- 2011 Blake A. Meyrowitz, Psi
- 2012 Adam T. Edwards, Beta Alpha Theta
- 2013 Hunter J. Lang, Gamma Mu
- 2014 Daniel A. Balva, Delta Iota
- 2015 Laitin W. Beecham, Gamma Mu
- 2016 Sagar D. Mistry, Delta Iota
- 2017 Jonathan T. Gross, Alpha Psi
- 2018 Cody J. Taylor, Gamma Xi (University of California, Santa Barbara) 2019
- 2019 Kyle M. Cherry, Eta Mu (California Polytechnic State University) 2019
Phil Goodman Award (Outstanding Campus Leader)
The Phil Goodman Award is presented to a brother who excels in campus leadership and involvement.
- 2013 Frederick Adenuga, Zeta Alpha (Florida State University) 2013
- 2014 Gage Crispe, Iota (University of Denver) 2014
- 2015 Ricky Kirby, Gamma Mu (University of Memphis) 2015
- 2016 Nathan D. Sousa, Rho Iota (University of Rhode Island) 2016
- 2017 Anthony Haddad, Eta Mu (California Polytechnic State University) 2017
- 2018 Aiden T. Keene, Rho Iota (University of Rhode Island) 2019
- 2019 Joshua I. Chodor, Omega (University of Missouri) 2019
Best Founding Father
This award is given to the individual who had the largest impact for his colony/chapter to receive chapter status. This award does not have a time limit; this may be any Alumni who was a Founding father who the Chapter would like to recognize for their support and contributions to the chapter.
- 2013 Michael Gersman, Nu (The Ohio State University) 2014
- 2014 Zachary P. Nahmias, Gamma Mu (University of Memphis) 2010
- 2015 Zachary F. Cohen, Beta Zeta Epsilon (University of Maryland) 2016
- 2016 Joseph M. Dray, Eta Rho (Florida International University) 2015
- 2017 Jason K. Peiser, Omega (University of Missouri) 2018
- 2018 Daniel A. Hadad, Alpha Nu (Muhlenberg College) 2018
- 2019 Jonathan C. Mizrahi, Epsilon Delta (Binghamton University – State University of New York) 2020
The Maxwell Hyman Chapter Advisor Award (Outstanding Advisor)
The Maxwell Hyman Chapter Advisor Award is named for a founder of Phi Sigma Delta Fraternity and a member of that Fraternity’s Alpha Chapter at Columbia University. Brother Hyman figured prominently in the early history of Phi Sigma Delta as an advocate for, and trainer of, Chapter Advisors.
- 2013 Dr. Gary Strasberg, Gamma Mu (University of Memphis) 1973, University of Memphis
- 2014 Bernard (Buddy) Weissman, Ph.D., Xi (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) 1975, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2015 Iota Chapter Advisory Board, University of Denver
- 2016 Iota Chapter Advisory Board, University of Denver
- 2017 Jason J. Colombini, Eta Mu (California Polytechnic State University) 2013, California Polytechnic State University
- 2018 Stephen P. Ehrlich, Iota (University of Denver) 1970, University of Denver
- 2019 Keith M. Brauer, Beta Delta (Rutgers State University of New Jersey) 1982
Best Faculty Advisor Award
This award is presented to the most outstanding Faculty Advisor.
- 2013 Hannah Udell, Tulane University
- 2014 Douglas Bodner, Xi (Georgia Institute of Technology) 1987, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2015 Abraham Lavender, Ph.D., Alpha Theta of Phi Epsilon Pi (University of South Carolina) 1965, Florida International University
- 2016 Greg Grauberger, Univerity of Denver
- 2017 Not awarded
- 2018 Not awarded
- 2019 Not awarded
The below honors are provided to multiple individuals who shine during their time as ZBT undergraduates.
The Gamma-Van Raalte Award (Individual Varsity Athletes)
The Gamma-Van Raalte Award is named for ZBT’s Gamma Chapter at New York University and Brother Morton Van Raalte of the Delta Chapter at Columbia University. Gamma Chapter was a perennial winner of this award in the early years of the Fraternity and thus the Chapter’s designation was incorporated into the name of the award.
Brother Van Raalte, a Delta Chapter alumnus and a varsity athlete himself, first presented this award at ZBT’s Convention in 1915. The Gamma-Van Raalte Award is presented to those Brothers who have participated in varsity athletics during an academic year. The demands of membership on a varsity sports team paired with the rigors of an undergraduate academic course load may seem daunting to some, yet many Brothers give proof that the two can be successfully combined.
Kahn-Greendlinger Award (Individual Senior Academics)
The Kahn-Greendlinger award is named for Brother Julius Kahn, Alpha Eta Chapter (UC-Berkeley) 1909 who served as National President from 1921-1924, and a distinguished member of Congress during the World War I era. Brother Greendlinger, an honorary member of Phi Sigma Delta, first presented his award to the member of Phi Sig that provided the most prominent articles of the fraternity’s annual magazine.
The Kahn-Greendlinger Award is presented to those Brothers who have achieved a grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale during their senior years as undergraduates. These men exemplify dedication to scholastic excellence. These Brothers give us proof that, through the rigors of one’s senior year, one can maintain focus on academic achievement.
Richard S. Simon Award (Individual Academics)
This award is named for Past International President Richard S. Simon. Dick, an initiate of the Phi Chapter at the University of Michigan, has served for many years as the Chairman of the ZBT Foundation’s Scholarship Committee. Dick is also a Past President of the North-American Interfraternity Conference and a recipient of the NIC’s Gold Medal Award. The Richard S. Simon Award is presented to Brothers who have maintained a grade point average of at least a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale before their senior year as an undergraduate member of ZBT. These Brothers demonstrate to us that fun and work can mix.