Being a brother of ZBT is the greatest privilege you’ll ever earn — we believe that our brothers earn their membership every day. Zeta Beta Tau prides itself that our brotherhood is built upon equality and that all brothers share equal rights and responsibilities from the beginning.
All ZBTs should: Live the Ritual. Commit to our Precepts, Mission and Credo. Be a gentleman.
It’s forever great to be a ZBT. Here’s more on what that means.
Who We Are
The world's first Jewish fraternity
Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity was inspired by Richard J. H. Gottheil, a professor of languages at Columbia University and a leader in the early American Zionist movement. On December 29, 1898, Professor Gottheil gathered together a group of Jewish students from several New York City universities to form a Zionist youth society. The society was called Z.B.T. By 1903 the clear need for a Greek-letter fraternity open to Jewish students prompted Z.B.T. to change its emphasis and to become Zeta Beta Tau.
First fraternity to abolish pledging
Zeta Beta Tau is proud to be the first fraternity that abolished pledging in 1989. Zeta Beta Tau prides itself that our brotherhood is built upon equality and that all brothers share equal rights and responsibilities from the beginning. This also places emphasis on the fact that ZBT is a lifelong brotherhood.
Brotherhood for a Lifetime
ZBT offers a rich Brotherhood for a Lifetime experience for all brothers, from new initiates on Day 1 through many ages of alumni. Zeta Beta Tau teaches us how to live with great energy, strength and passion. The traditions of our Fraternity are what bind together the many generations of Zeta Beta Tau brothers across the globe. Sharing in the practices, letters and Ritual of the organization creates a powerful connection among brothers.
How We Operate
To be a part of the fraternity community as an undergraduate, our men need to excel in and out of the classroom.
- ZBT requires a minimum grade-point average of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale for each individual brother and chapter, or we follow campus or Interfraternity Council requirements, whichever is higher.
- Chapters/prospective chapters select an Academic Chairman who is required to write an academic plan that is submitted to ZBT International Headquarters. The chairman also supervises study hours, assists brothers in finding tutors when needed, rewards brothers for improving in academics and monitors GPAs.
Once initiated into the Fraternity, every brother is responsible for a one-time new initiate fee and then returning brother dues each year he is an undergraduate brother.
- 2021-2022 International Fees and Dues.
- This infographic offers a greater understanding of where international dues are spent and how they are broken down. We encourage brothers and families to review all the information and contact ZBT International Headquarters with any questions, comments, or concerns. We work hard to provide top-notch programming and servicing to our undergraduate and alumni brothers.
- The majority of the dues and fees paid by chapters and individuals goes to insurance coverage and emergency response assistance. A smaller percentage goes to fraternity operations in areas such as chapter support, education programs, recruitment and marketing of ZBT . Tangibly, every brother gets a card, pin, materials and certificate.
Individual groups may require other financial commitments, especially in regards to housing. Contact your chapter’s Finance Director for information.
Brotherhood Quality Standards
Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity is governed by an International Constitution and Code, approved by international leadership. These governing documents outline the function of the Fraternity and set the standards for brothers. Important for undergraduates to learn are the Brotherhood Quality Standards included in the Code.
Having reasonable standards for each brother is critical for the survival and success of any fraternity. Chapters and prospective chapters should review and discuss these standards each semester. Brotherhood Quality Standards ensure that brothers earn the privilege to be ZBTs. Brothers also know what they can expect of one another, thus promoting unity. Chapters may add additional standards over and above those stated here, so long as they apply to all brothers and are approved by the Fraternity.
Download and save the Brotherhood Quality Standards.
It’s Great to be a ZBT
What brothers get
Fraternity membership is an accelerator for life education, where brothers learn leadership, organization, management, sales, project execution, budgeting, communication and other skills. ZBT brothers are committed to community service and engagement, to being servant-leaders on campus and in their home areas.
Most importantly, ZBT’s discover healthy interpersonal relationships and personal development. The bonds of brotherhood are forever. Fraternity membership is a fun and functional social outlet for the high-stress campus environment. Studies have proven that fraternity members have better mental health and better life outcomes than non-affiliated college alumni.
Hear directly from ZBT brothers on what this means for them.
Rights and privileges
Immediately after initiation, ZBT brothers have the right to fully participate in all activities, meetings, events and governance of the chapter and the Fraternity. Brothers are privileged to wear ZBT letters and the ZBT Pin with respect and pride. An initiate into the Fraternity is always called brother, and in return, he offers the same title of respect to his peers in the chapter.
- Brothers have the privilege to be part of THE JOURNEY, ZBT’s brotherhood program, that includes a wide scope of personal and professional development opportunities alongside traditions like a Big-Little Brother pairing and brotherhood bonding retreats.
- All ZBTs can participate in programs and experiences offered by ZBT International Headquarters. Meeting brothers from around the world is one of the most empowering, unique parts of being in a fraternity.
- ZBT offers a Resource Center with additional information to support your personal development. Contact ZBT staff for assistance accessing these resources.
Joining a fraternity is an investment in your future. Brothers get back as much as they put into their ZBT experience.
- Undergraduate brothers are expected to actively participate in chapter operations, ideally serving in at least a committee role, supporting philanthropy and service events, attending programs and meetings and more. Fraternity thrives when all brothers play a role.
- Ready to connect to brothers outside your campus or to meet alumni in your career field? Follow ZBT’s international social media and read the brotherhood magazine, the Digital Deltan. We also sponsor encourage initiates to join the closed groups for brothers on Facebook and LinkedIn.